Introduction to Kratom For Beginners
Many people are hesitant to take pharmaceuticals for certain conditions these days, and they are looking for
other solutions. In recent years, an herb called “Kratom” has given them an alternative to drugs. Kratom is a
unique plant that, when ground into powder, can help issues like pain, anxiety, and depression. In the
U.S., it is even being used to ease opioid withdrawals.
The tricky part is that there aren’t standard recommended doses for Kratom like there are for manufactured
substances. However, Kratom users are discovering how to take it and when to take it. And what kind to take on their
own. To reach that point, though, they are doing a lot of research and a little experimentation.
A Brief History of Kratom For Beginners
Kratom is a plant that has grown natively in some Southeast Asian countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, and Myanmar for a century or more. Scientifically known as Mitragyna Speciosa, locals initially used it for pain relief and a little energy boost while they worked in fields and farms. Returning soldiers from Vietnam brought the plant back to the States. It later became an experimental herb for so-called “headshops” who were trying to develop Kratom into a “get-high” drug of choice. That stigmatized Kratom for use in the U.S., for a while. The substances they added to the herb were dangerous concoctions that caused several deaths. This was NOT just Kratom as we know it today.
Unfortunately, the creation of these adulterated Kratom products continued. As a result, the government attempted to restrict the importing and sale of Kratom altogether in the early 21st century. However, the ruling was reversed. Kratom is now legal as a supplement in most states. The pure, unaltered Kratom has seen a resurgence in popularity because it has uses for pain management, among other things. There is much more to the story, though. For further information about the history of Kratom, check out our blog on the history of Kratom.
Is Kratom Legal?
Yes and No. Kratom is in a strange legal category of its own. Each state is in charge of their Kratom regulations. In Arizona, California, Nevada, Georgia, and Utah, Kratom is legal; but can only be sold to consumers over the age of 18 or 21, depending on the state. For the most part, Kratom is legal throughout the country except in Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Vermont, and Wisconsin. All other states allow Kratom sales and consumption with a few regional exceptions. Consumers need to check local laws to find out what restrictions exist for their state.
What Are the Varieties of Kratom?
There are three main types of Kratom for beginners to know that are distinguished primarily by the color of the veins in the leaves:
- Red vein. According to frequent users of Kratom, the red vein helps with pain relief and relaxation.
- White vein. This strain provides a bit more focus and little more energy than the other two. It also helps with pain relief.
- Green vein. Its effects are somewhere between red and white. Green vein Kratom provides increased focus and energy. Also, it’s not quite as strong as the white vein or sedating as the red vein.
Learning about these strains of Kratom is actually just the beginning of understanding Kratom for beginners. Kratom is
further classified and named according to the growing regions from which it is harvested. For instance, “Malay
Green” is a green vein Kratom grown in Malaysia. Another very popular one called “Maeng Da” is grown in
Thailand and comes in a red vein, green vein and white vein leaf. “Bali” strains are found in Bali, for example.
Those are just a few of the many types of Kratom and more are being developed all the time.
Consumers have to conduct their own research to understand how each works and how much to use for a
particular problem. Fortunately, there is a good amount of anecdotal evidence and other user experiences for
the new Kratom consumer to discover.
People use Kratom to help alleviate the symptoms of many problems. Listed below are the most common uses of Kratom for beginners. Keep in mind that experiences vary based on the individual and the dose.
- Kratom for Pain. A century ago, one of the primary uses for Kratom was to help with pain relief. Today, people who have chronic pain and do not want to use opioids often say they find relief from Kratom. That is one of the most frequent uses for Kratom.
- Kratom for Stress/Depression/Anxiety. Some strains of Kratom seem to help people with stress and depression by providing a mild relaxing benefit, even to the point of making them sleepy.
- Kratom for energy and motivation. Again, long ago, workers discovered that chewing on a leaf or drinking a tea of ground-up leaves would help with a lift in energy and focus. Many strains are said to help with focus, energy and concentration.
- Although some have disputed this use, some Kratom users proclaim that it has helped them get off of opioids by reducing the withdrawal symptoms they go through. Those are just a few of the uses, based on experiences by Kratom consumers. Each person is different and should not expect the results to be exactly the same.
Kratom For Beginners Research Guide
Researching is important for people who are new to Kratom. There is a mountain of information on the internet
and answers can be found by reviewing reputable, informative websites, studying both pros and cons of taking
Kratom, reading opinions or reviews, and listening to the thousands of testimonials from Kratom users.
Beginner Kratom users need to be careful about selecting a vendor as well as types and dosages of Kratom.
This is where the experimentation comes in. But first, finding a vendor with good credentials is crucial. A good
vendor will have excellent customer service and help users decide on doses and types of Kratom for beginners to try.
Consumers should definitely buy Kratom from online vendors. The reputable vendors have spent much time
and effort developing their own brands and cultivating relationships with farmers and harvesters. They have
spent time creating a good professional web site and offering as much information to help the Kratom user as
possible. A good vendor will be completely open and honest with the pros and cons of Kratom.
Using Kratom may not be for everyone. Each person has to make his own decision based on trial and error. It
may be time consuming but most Kratom consumers think it is worth the effort.