If you are new to Kratom, or even if you’re an experienced user, you might be wondering does Kratom show up on a drug test? The quick answer: Kratom probably will not be tested for on your drug test. However, there are a few more details to consider.
How Long is Kratom Detectable for a Drug Test?
The research is not airtight at this point, but Kratom can be present in your system anywhere from 5-9 days after ingestion. This means if you need to be clean of Kratom for a specific drug test you should give yourself at least 10 days without Kratom to be safe. But, not every body will eliminate Kratom at the same rate. You may need to give yourself more time for Kratom to entirely leave your system.
What factors affect how long Kratom stays in the body?
How long Kratom, or any other substance, stays present in the body is unique and varies from person to person. There are many factors to keep in mind in regard to Kratom and drug tests that affect how long Kratom will stay in your body.
- Age – As the body ages, it does things at a slower rate. This is true for the body’s elimination time, too. As you age, the time it takes for your body to eliminate substances, especially orally ingested substances, will increase. Especially for those over 65, expect longer wait times for your system to be clear.
- Body fat – There are many substances that get stored in fat, and Kratom is one of them. The mitragynine in Kratom is very fat-soluble. This means it is easily stored in fat cells. So, the higher body fat content you have, the longer before Kratom will be out of your system.
- Food & water levels – Taking Kratom with higher fat content foods may speed up the rate at which it is absorbed in the body. Your hydration levels can also play a factor in how quickly it takes your body to excrete some levels of Kratom by urination.
- Personal health – There are other factors that can affect your rate of substance removal such as genetics, metabolism, and renal function. These are common factors for any substance, not just Kratom.
Will Kratom Show up on my Drug Test?
The quick answer here is, probably not. The most commonly used test is the 5 panel. The substances typically tested in this test are:
- Marijuana (particularly THC)
Kratom does not show positive on a drug test for any of these substances. Even if you are subject to the harsher 10 panel test, the additional substances tested for are:
- Benzodiazepines (valium, xanax, etc.)
- Prescription opioids
- Designer drugs like MDMA
A drug test can detect Kratom in urine, blood, and saliva. There is no current evidence that hair follicle testing for Kratom has ever been performed. While your employer probably is not testing for Kratom, it can be tested for. There are kits available online for sale that test specifically for Kratom. Blood tests, since rather invasive and only shortly viable, probably won’t ever be a method used for testing for Kratom.
Does Kratom Show up on a Drug Test Conclusion
So, while it is possible to drug test for Kratom in your system, chances are, you will not need to worry about it. Tests for Kratom are very specific, and normally expensive. And, Kratom is legal in most of the U.S., so the likelihood of you getting specifically tested for Kratom is low.